MathematicsPhilosophySomers Point Schools will enable ALL of our students to acquire the mathematical skills, understandings, and attitudes that they will need to be successful in their careers and daily lives.Educational Goals & Beliefs
- Equity - We will achieve excellence in mathematics education through policies that promote equity, high expectations, and strong support for all students.
- Curriculum - We believe a curriculum is more than a collection of activities; it must be coherent, focused on important mathematics, and well articulated across the grades.
- Learning - We will work diligently to ensure all students learn mathematics with understanding, actively building new knowledge from experience and prior knowledge.
- Assessment - We will use assessment to support the learning of important mathematics and furnish useful information to our students.
- Teaching - We know effective mathematics teaching requires an understanding of what students know and need to learn, challenging and supporting them to apply and extend their knowledge.
- Technology - We believe technology is essential in teaching and learning mathematics; it influences the mathematics that is taught and enhances students' learning.