The internet is full of viruses, trojans, malware, and spyware. Keeping your computer safe from these is very important.
Update Operating System
Whether you are using a Mac or PC, updating your operating system is very important. Updates are released on a regular basis to help protect your computer and to keep it running smoothly.
Update Web Browser
Your web browser is your gateway to the internet and is often times the entry point for computer viruses. It is therefore important that you frequently check for updates to your browser.
Internet Explorer - Updates are includes as part of your Windows updates
Google Chrome -
- Click on the 3 horizonal lines in the top right corner in the browser.
- Click on 'About Google Chrome'
- Google Chrome will tell you if it is not up to date, and it will have an option to update.
Mozilla Firefox -
- Download the latest version and run the installer. This will not delete any bookmarks or personal settings
Safari - Safari updates are included with Mac OS X updates.
Some Safe Browsing practices
- Update anti-virus and anti-malware programs
- Use a firewall program
- Never click on pop-ups
- Never respond to Spam e-mails
- Never open e-mail attachments that you were not expecting. If you are ever in doubt, e-mail the sender to make sure they sent it to you or google the e-mail to see if the attachment is bad.
- Never click on links in your e-mail. Instead, copy/paste the URL into your web browser to ensure that the link is not redirecting you unexpectedly.
- Avoid using peer-to-peer (P2P) network programs.
- Avoid using your personal e-mail address for random registrations. If you are browsing the web and come accross a form that you want to fill out, but you are not sure what it will do, you may want to use a throw away email address to fill it out with. View these Google search results for some Disposable Email services (Note: some sites disallow use of these accounts)
- Use programs such as WebOfTrust or McAfee Site Advisor to help avoid sites that are known for infecting computers.